We went to Westminster Abbey. This was the first time I had been so we took the audio tour. The church is very crowded with the tombs of the royals. Highlights include: Henry VII chapel (I wish I could have taken a picture of this spectacular ceiling. They had a big ancient mirror on a table so everyone could look at the mirror and not crane their necks looking at the ceiling), Queen Elizabeth I's tomb (her sister Mary is buried nearly beneath her), Mary Queen of Scots's tomb, and poets corner.
Westminster Abbey has more than a thousand years of history. Benedictine monks first came to this site in the middle of the tenth century and established a tradition of daily worship which continues to this day. It is a Pre-Norman church. The last saxon king was crowned here right before the Norman conquest. The Abbey has been the coronation church since 1066 and is the final resting place of seventeen monarchs. The present church, begun by Henry III in 1245, is one of the most important Gothic buildings in the country, with the medieval shrine of an Anglo-Saxon saint still at its heart.This building really conveys a heavy, ponderous feeling of age when you walk in it, more so than the Tower of London. It was somewhat creepy to me. Although I enjoyed seeing it and appreciate the history, I do not want to go again--too many people buried inside.
No pictures were allowed on the inside so I have two from flikr commons which you can see above: The one with the chairs--
No comments:
Post a Comment